The PTA t-shirt fundraiser is going on now! Pre-sale t-shirts are going for $8 for child, $10 for adult until March 11, at which time t-shirts will cost $10 and $12 respectively. Drop off your order forms in the front office or with your child’s teacher. Shirts will be delivered at the end of March / beginning of April. Click here to see the new t-shirt design. Print out the flyer from here and drop it off at the school office!
The Wonder of Reading volunteer reading program kicked off its program on February 28 with a great training held in our new library. Dozens of parents and community members signed up for the program, which involves pairing a volunteer with a student for one hour of reading a week. The goal of the program is to “teach a love of reading!” If you are interested in becoming a reading volunteer, please contact Peter Valverde, or Paula Cortez, our community representatives.
New after-school programs are starting Tuesday afternoons of this month, including:
- Cooking classes with Lisa Fontanesi of Kidding Around the Kitchen, Tuesdays 1:30p to 2:30p, starting March 15 (click here to visit her website)
- Chess club with Chess Champions, Tuesdays 2:30p to 3:30p, starting March 22
- Hollywood Arts Council ceramics program, 1:30p to 3:30p, date TBA
- Comic book club, Friday afternoons, date TBA
Upcoming school events include:
- Wednesday March 2: Family Reading Night in the Library / Dr. Seuss Read Across America Night, 5 – 6:30p in the library
- Tuesday, March 8: Election Night. Don’t forget to vote!
- Friday, March 18: Leprechaun Leap Dance, 2:30p
- Tuesday, March 22: Gifted Parents Meeting, 2:30p
- Friday, April 1: Cesar Chavez Day – School Holiday
- April 18 – 22 Spring Break
Garden Volunteer Days continue every Saturday, from 10a to 2pm. Visit our Garden webpage at www.micheltorena.org/garden for information and lots of cool garden links.
And please save the date for the first annual Micheltorena Garden Festival, to be held on Saturday, June 4! Everyone is invited. Stay tuned for more details!